Reflections by Jerry Webber


Monday, December 14, 2009

Stumbling over Joy

Like many other life-realities, I'm aware that I can't really define joy; I do, however, know joy when I experience it.

Joy seems somehow bound up in the essence of things, the inner reality that sources an outer way of living in the world.

Pursuit of happiness does not guarantee joy. Happiness is merely intoxicating, the thirsty man or woman drinking salt-water. Happiness requires another outside condition or external stimulus to produce more happiness.

Joy, on the other hand, lives internally somewhere around soul-level. It is deeper and longer-lasting than happiness, not necessarily giddy but most always tied to gladness and gratitude.

The prayer in Psalm 43:3 implores God to send out light and truth in order to guide the steps that would lead me to my deepest joy and gladness.

The divine messengers brought an announcement to working people (shepherds), saying, "Don't be afraid; I bring you good news of great joy for all people" (Lk. 2:10).

"Don't let your fear freeze you. It keeps you stuck in the mindless repetition of your fragile life. I have news that will shatter the frozenness and set you free to live."

To me, the "shattering of frozenness" and the "freedom to live" get to the essence of joy.

No comments: