Reflections by Jerry Webber


Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Mystery of the Interior

This wonderful line from a D. H. Lawrence poem caught my eye . . . "no man knows, no woman knows the mystery of the interior."

I don't see the interior of those I encounter day by day. And I recognize my own interior very slowly, and sometimes at great cost.

This is the poem:


The Heart of Man

There is the other universe, of the heart of man
that we know nothing of, that we dare not explore.

A strange grey distance separates
our pale mind still from the pulsing continent
of the heart of man.

Fore-runners have barely landed on the shore
and no man knows, no woman knows
the mystery of the interior
when darker still than Congo or Amazon
flow the heart's rivers of fulness, desire and distress.

(D. H. Lawrence, Poems, p. 214)

No comments: